Cilhaul Colliery as situated on the western side of the valley on the site of what was to become Ogilvie Colliery. It was owned by the Bargoed Coal Company who commenced sinking the 30 yard shaft to the Brithdir seam, and associated air shaft in 1864. The colliery was abandoned in December 1887. The haulier was Richard Moore and the old “loco” was named COB. In the background is Brithdir Isaf farm. Eight women worked on the screens and picking belt. A flat rope was used at this colliery
Cwmllwydrew Level (SO112 035)
From Coal Authority plans 2276D and 13619 there is evidence of 5 periods of working
The earliest date shown on plan 2276D is 6 January 1875 and it was worked by the Bargoed Coal Company.
The next dates are shown on plan 13619, these being from October 1882 to 17 January 1888. The latter date is that of one of the encroachments into the Dowlais Iron Company’s territory north of the boundary shown on plan 2276D. See also plan 2276A Bargoed Coal Company abandoned workings in January 1892.
This is shown as on plan 13619 as being from early 1923 until 17 August 1928.
This is shown on plan 13619 as being near the mouth of the level and ending on 11 January 1932.
Fifth and Last Phase
Shown on plan SWR 592 ( signed 19 October 1964) as being worked by Morgan & Jenkins between November 1952 and December 1959. No further workings have occurred.
The coal seam mined was the Brithdir No1 which comprised:-
Clift, B??? 0.4, Coal 0.6, Shale 0.0½, Coal 0.9, Smooth, Coal 2.5, Rasher 1.1,
Coal 0.4, Fireclay.