Apart from the freight services, for which the railway was primarily built, all Acts of Parliament insisted that each Railway Company also provide passenger services.
During 1868, the siding on the north side of Fochriw station were extended by about 60 to 80 yards.
During 1920 the loop at Fochriw station had been lengthened at the Newport end.
The goods siding was removed on 6.12.1959
The interlocking, etc; at Deri Junction was ready for opening on 5 May 1882
During August 1909 the doubling of the line from Darran station to Bargoed by the Rhymney Railway Co. was approaching completion and arrangements had been made with that company for putting in a crossover road and up line siding for thirty wagons at Deri Junction at a cost of £451.
The Deri Junction new crossover road and up line exchange siding, with signalling & interlocking, were inspected and passed on 27 October 1909 but brought into use on 26 September 1909 and the doubled Deri Jct. to Darran station stretch of line was opened on the same date.
B&M loads on engines in dry weather of loaded wagons varied from 12-10-16
Fochriw Pits to Deri Junction Guard only 20 loaded wagons. Guard and Brakesman 30 loaded wagons.
Ordinary wagons to count as 7 tons loaded. 5 assorted Goods to count as 4 loaded. 5 medium empties to count as 2 loaded. 2 ten-ton wagons to count as 3 loaded. 2 ton empties to count as 1 loaded. 3 small empties to count as 1 loaded. The list is exclusive of Guard's van which is taken as attached to each train. Passenger engines - maximum load of 8 four-wheeled vehicles between Bargoed RR and Talybont.
Max speed of trains working between Pantywaun and Bargoed Junction Passenger 25 mph goods 14 mph.