St Mary the Virgin was built in 1907, at a cost of £1,800 and consisted of a nave, chancel and turret for one bell. Seating was provided for 300 souls. The foundation stone laying ceremony for St Mary's church took place on 22 May 1907 at 3.15 p.m.
The following report is from the 25 May 1907 edition of the Merthyr Express
New Church and Institute at Fochriw: Foundation Stone Laid by Lord Tredegar Church work in Fochriw has in late years progressed so rapidly under the care of the Rev. J. A. Rees, curate-in-charge, that a new and capacious building has been commenced, the foundation stone of which was laid on Wednesday afternoon by Viscount Tredegar. The proceedings created a stir along the valley, and the Darran and Fochriw Stations were prettily decorated. His Lordship was greatly impressed by the heartiness of the greeting. As the train by which Viscount Tredegar travelled approached Darran station, a number of detonators exploded. Throughout the quiet village there was a liberal supply of bunting. At Fochriw itself, the excitement was intense.
The building, which has done service for the neighbourhood for many years, is situated right away on the mountain top at Pentwyn - a cold, bleak, unsheltered spot, and a march there on a winter's day is not easily forgotten. The building had fallen into a dilapidated state, and a new edifice was very desirable. Through the persistence of the Rev. Rees, upwards of £1,000 was collected as the nucleus of the fund for the erection of a new Church and Institute. He, too, obtained a site, free of charge, from Lord Bute, on the side of the main road leading to Pentwyn, and within easy access from Fochriw.