wp512b81f3_1b.jpg
wp680d0717_1b.jpg

wp0f1fe167_1b.jpg

wp052987a7_1b.jpg

wp876b32d9_1b.jpg

wpf0bfd42a_1b.jpg

wp72f876d0_1b.jpg

wp0afab5c0_1b.jpg

wpad493c75_1b.jpg

wpbfe57a7a_1b.jpg

wpf70075a7_1b.jpg

wp05a75d51_1b.jpg

wp36ab804c_1b.jpg

wpcc27b184_1b.jpg

wp9cd9e491_1b.jpg

wp67dd101f_1b.jpg

wp2113bf4c_1b.jpg

wp5df3fdfe_1b.jpg

wpf9908b7c_1b.jpg

wp83cdcaa1_1b.jpg

wpfa4c9af2_1b.jpg

wpf009d281_1b.jpg

wp65d07d51_1b.jpg

wpd31ef44c_1b.jpg

wp6635a210_1b.jpg

wpe09740cd_1b.jpg

wpbe6c1797_1b.jpg

RELIGION
wp6fe6870e_1b.jpg
wp30e8d05d_1b.jpg
wp1a073087_1b.jpg
wp5ac53ac3_1b.jpg

The annual vestry meeting in May 1930 recorded that much had been accomplished, including the re-roofing of the Parish Church, and St. Peter's Hall would be renovated in a week or so. Before the end of the summer, he hoped Pentwyn Church would be re-constructed. The roof of St. David's, Pantywaun, still required urgent attention.

The following report was taken from the 11 February 1939 edition of the Merthyr Express

Fire At Fochriw Church: Bargoed Brigade Finds Building In Smoke  
The Gellygaer Fire Brigade, under Second Officer E. Owen, were called to Fochriw just before eight o'clock on Sunday morning, and found St. Mary's Church enveloped in smoke. The firemen donned smoke helmets, and found a stage in a concert room in the basement smouldering. It is believed that hot coke from a heating apparatus fell on to the stage. The outbreak was soon quelled. The Church proper was not damaged, and services were held as usual on Sunday. The damage is estimated at £20.

The following report was taken from the 18 February 1939 edition of the Merthyr Express

Church Fire   In the report of the fire at Fochriw Church, the estimated damage should have been £200 and not £20 as reported. The vicar and Churchwardens thank the fire brigade for their promptness in coming from Bargoed, and also the police and general public for their splendid help.

The following report was taken from the  7 November 1959 edition of the Merthyr Express.

Gift Day    The Rev. Evan Sedgemore, Vicar, received the gifts of the people on Friday. It was a splendid response for which he wishes to thank all. The church is undergoing extensive repairs and an electric blower for the organ has been installed.

St Mary's was deemed to be in such a poor state of repair that in 1981 it was demolished.

During the life of the church, the institute rooms below were put to much use in that, from the outset, they were the venue for the functions such as soirees, tea parties, dances, bazaars, drama performances, teas, sports, concerts, eisteddfodau, cantatas, lantern lectures, whist drives, operettas etc.,that used to be held at St Andrew’s at Pentwyn, and between the wars whist drives became very popular.

Organisations that were based at St Mary’s were St Mary’s Guild, Mother’s Union and a debating and dramatic society,