Mount Carmel Independent Chapel
The following was reported in the 14 October 1865 issue of the Merthyr Express.
“Vochriw Independent Chapel A tea party was held here on Monday last, and received very good support. Several local ministers addressed the assembly. The proceeds of the evening are intended for the erection of a new Independent Chapel for this increasing neighbourhood. 14 October 1865”
Prior to the construction of the chapel, meetings took place at the home of a Mr Lewis Edwards and the first sermon was preached in that house by Rev Jenkin Evans to a congregation of eleven.
The house eventually outgrew the increasing membership and meetings moved to a barn which was located in a field on which is now situated the Llwyn Iago NCB estate which was constructed by Wimpey.
Having also outgrown the barn, a wooden structure was built which was soon followed by a larger one, their location being near the crossroads at Pentwyn.
In the Report by the Select Committee on Education dated 8 May 1866, Appendix 5 advised that, in addition to two weekly services that two services and three Sunday Schools were held on the sabbath with an average attendance of 250 children, whilst the adult membership was 60.
The church was built in 1867 and in 1870 there were 130 in membership.
The first minister was Rev. W.H.Thomas who came from the north of England. He left in 1867 and was succeeded by Rev John Griffiths for an unknown period. For a period of 15 years the ministry was shared by two ministers, these being Rev John Griffiths and Rev William Tibbott.
In 1885 the Rev James Jones was ordained and served for a period of 21 years, that is until 1907. The church was without a minister for the succeeding two years when Rev D. Huws Jones was