Nazareth Welsh Calvinistic Methodists
The following was reported in the 12 December 1874 issue of the Merthyr Express.
“Anniversary On Sunday and Monday last, the anniversary services connected with the Nazareth Congregational Chapel of this place were held, when most impressive and eloquent sermons were delivered for the occasion by the Revs. D. Thomas, Llangynidr; W. G. Williams, Rhymney; J. E. Griffiths, Vochriw; and T. Rees, D.D., Swansea. The Revs. J. R. Davies, New Tredegar; R. Herbert (C.M.); J. P. Williams, Baptist, Pontlottyn; D. S. Evans and W. Griffiths, Rhymney; and Mr. J. John, Sirhowy, were also present, and took part in the introductory services. At the conclusion of each service, liberal collections were made towards the liquidation of the chapel debt, the handsome sum of upwards of £60 having been realised on this occasion. We are gratified to learn that the church and congregation assembled in this chapel under the ministry of the Rev. J. R. Williams, are at present in a progressive and satisfactory condition; and strenuous efforts are constantly being made to remove the burthen of debt now remaining on the chapel.”
Nazereth Chapel served the community well and an important day in its history was its welcome home to the Fochriw men who had served in the 1914-18 Great War. The Reverend J Francis occupied the Chair and the soldiers, privates Theophilus Shankland, Willie Slimmonds and Willaim Davies were each presented with a cheque from a fund set up by the local people before enjoying a crowded evening of entertainment at St Mary's Hall which was located in the basement of St Mary's church.