The Bethany English Baptist building was sold to Mr Richard Cory who made a present of it to General Booth. However, the Salvationists did not prosper long and the building was going into disrepair when Dr. Davies took the matter up and obtained the generous aid of Mr. Cory in prevailing on General Booth to sell it at a nominal figure. Through the interest of Mr. Martin, the Fochriw Colliery manager, the Dowlais Iron Company supplied the funds for the purchase of the building for a library and reading room which opened on 19 June 1889.
The following report was included in the 13 November 1886 issue of the War Cry.
OPENING OF FOCHRIW
One Surrender and Many Tremblers!
'We arrived here on Saturday evening full of faith, believing for as blessed day on Sunday, and thank God, we were not disappointed. God came very near to us. We commenced well at Knee-Drill. The power of God came down upon us, we felt confident that victory was on our side. We met again at eleven o'clock inside and had a blessed time. The people paid great attention to what we said, and many were convicted of their sins. In the afternoon inside meeting at three the place was packed to the door; four soldiers from Caerphilly gave their experiences, telling us what God had done for them. The people wept all over the place. At night God's presence was made manifest, and the people trembled on their seat , and one soul surendered.'