The chapel was probably built between 1871 and 1881 since there is no mention of it on the 1871 census but it is recorded in the 1881 returns. It was built by the Baptists probably with a view to cater for expansion in the population which never materialised.
The chapel probably never had a resident minister and, from newspaper accounts during the early 1900’s, pulpit duties were carried out by the ministers of Noddfa in Fochriw and Tabernacle in Deri, with Noddfa, Fochriw being responsible for the chapel.
Services were only held once a month with a Sunday School being held every week. From newspaper reports during the First World War, sermons were mainly in Welsh. A memorial service for the late Private W.J. Williams of Penybank was held in August 1916.
The chapel closed during the 1880’s with a debt of £800 but, thanks to Police Sergeant Henry Williams of Fochriw, who was also a deacon of Noddfa, this debt was repaid over a period of years and he was responsible, during the 1890’s, with the help of his wife and son, for re-started the Sunday School, some 40 to 50 children being in attendance.
Over a period of 30 years Henry Williams was responsible for fundraising to the sum of about £3,000, and was presented with an illuminated address at Siloh Chapel, by the East Glamorgan Baptist Association, in January 1921.
The chapel was closed for renovations and re-opened in September 1926 with a concert. The sermons were in Welsh and English.
During the first 50 or so years of its life, the chapel hosted quite a number of special services, teas and concerts, this being all the more remarkable when it is realised that there was no