A volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in Bargoed in 1905 and by 1910 there were corps of the Brigade in Bargoed, Pontlottyn, Tirphil, Fochriw, Deri, Pengam, Hengoed, Bedlinog and Trelewis. 1924 saw the building by the Council of a new Fire Station at Bargoed, the purchase of a motor-driven fire engine and the establishment of the Brigade on a full-time basis supported by part-time volunteers. The Council was one of the smallest authorities in the country to have a full-time brigade.
At the outbreak of the 1939-45 War the brigade became part of the National Fire Service and at the end of hostilities became part of the Glamorgan Fire Service.
It was not until March 1907 that a public meeting was held at the Baptist Vestry with a view to the formation of a fire brigade for the village. It would appear that, by November 1908, a brigade had been formed which played host to the Bargoed Fire Brigade.
Prior to its formation, during March 1907 the Merthyr Express reported a fire at the Fochriw Plantation which was put out by a large number of men, little damage being done and it was a repetition of a similar fire in 1898.
A fire alarm test at Fochriw was carried out during late November 1908 by members of the Bargoed Fire Brigade buy sounding a bugle and it was reported that the firemen were quickly out, the last man arriving within five minutes of the sounding of the bugle. Fire drills were held every Friday night.
During June 1912, the brigade took up duty at Caerphilly where they lined the route on the occasion of the King’s visit.
In August 1929, Fochriw Fire Brigade were successful in in the five competitions and demonstrations under the auspices of the Gellygaer Fire Brigade at Bargoed. Fochriw won the following events: four-man dressing competition; motor pump competition; and hose-running obstacle competition.
By April 1938 it would appear that the local Fochriw Fire Brigade had been disbanded with services being provided from Bargoed whose appliances attended a fire at Fochriw within 14 minutes of the alarm being given
Reported fires were
October 1908 No2 WilliamNo2 Williams Row. Fire caused by a spark which set alight some clothing on a line, which then set the roof alight.
May 1909 No5 Guest Street. Fire caused by a piece of coal shooting out onto some clothes that were drying in front of the fire
April 1911 White Horse Inn, Pentwyn. Fire caused by a spark onto a settee. The full story may be read in the newspaper report opposite.