wp775dfa92_1b.jpg
IRON
AND
COAL
wp8f722eef_1b.jpg

wpccc0174d_1b.jpg

wp084eaf12_1b.jpg

wp1dfe796c_1b.jpg

wpb94a9c27_1b.jpg

wp30c0080e_1b.jpg

wpe7f594fa_1b.jpg

wp41b60334_1b.jpg

wp28f83377_1b.jpg

wp58bd6e61_1b.jpg

wpf6d780f2_1b.jpg

wpa232f246_1b.jpg

wpb7de6eaf_1b.jpg

wpe25a4887_1b.jpg

wp8dd72539_1b.jpg

wp8a5a2b0d_1b.jpg

wp173b9717_1b.jpg

wpefe35af4_1b.jpg

wp18609ff9_1b.jpg

wpb4497c04_1b.jpg

wp972d2540_1b.jpg

wpcf2e2acd_1b.jpg

wp775ca042_1b.jpg

wp876cf288_1b.jpg

wp19e5be01_1b.jpg

wp170929bc_1b.jpg
wp7985112e_1b.jpg
wpe2b57e3a_1b.jpg
wpc8604a8e_1b.jpg
Pendrift Mine(SO 103 046)

This was located at the Pentwyn Crossroads and was originally opened by the DIC during the 1840/50’s and the Llewellyn’s worked it during the 1960’s.

This mine was extensive since it had two straight main roads, both of nearly a mile in length. It had 2 haulages, one for each road. One road went in a general southerly direction whilst the other went on the opposite direction. Both were driven in 5 foot of coal.

This predated the opening of the Fochriw Colliery and the coal was transported via a railway which was probably the Pantywaun Mineral Railway.

Bernard Llewellyn relates that when he entered the old workings, the coal faces of the stallworks were very straight and every few yards could be seen a niche which was cut into the coal into which a candle would have been placed. The colliers would then work the coal in accordance to the shadow cast by the edge of the niche into which the candle was placed.

Accidents at Pendrift Mine    

2 March 1957
Miner Killed   A 52 year old bachelor, David John Way of Glenview, Pentwyn, received head injuries while working underground at Pentwyn Level, Fochriw, on Wednesday. He died in the ambulance on the way to Tredegar General Hospital.

General

Initially, the Llewellyn’s sold their coal to the Merthyr Workhouse and Merthyr St Tydfil’s Hospital. There was a pecking order of payment, coal being after laundry.

Pontygarreg Drift (Also logged as Pontgraig & Pontgarreg) (SO 110 018)

This drift was located adjacent to the Roman Road on Gelligaer Common and was locally known as Sammy’s Pit or One Man Level).

Minerals worked were steam coal (1932), house coal (1933), house coal & gas coal (1934-38, 47-50 and house coal only in 1936), house, gas and industrial coal (1951-57), house, gas, industrial &coking coal (1958-70).

The seams that were worked were Mynyddislwyn 1932-38, 47-68 with the Mynyddislwyn seam being abandoned on 31 March 1968.

This mine was reopened by Edmunds Bros during 1932. Details of previous workings are unknown and during August 1932 it was reported that advancement was 46/50 yardswith production being about six tons per day.