Voluntary Scheme. Arrangements were made for tenders for boots and clothing. The midday meal was taken at the Old Library until the erection of the pavilion.
December 1938 The pavilion had been erected, and the ground was being fenced in and levelled.
March 1939 An application for nets for the goals from the Boys' Club was agreed to, and permission was given for tennis on the hard court on the children's playground.
May 1939 Grants had been received in connection with the new playing field from the Special Areas Commissioner. It was decided to place the order for clothes and boots with the trades-people in the village.
April 1940 It was decided to employ four men in fortnightly relays from Monday, April 15. It was assumed that three parts of the work had been carried out. About 14 men were employed and were making satisfactory progress. It was reported that timber had arrived for carrying out repairs at the children's playground.
June 1940 Another appeal was made to the public, not contributing through the collieries, to join the list of contributors to the welfare scheme.
September 1940 It was reported that some of the playing equipment in the children's playground had again been damaged. It was decided to take action. The football ground has been practically levelled off, and it was decided to apply for a grant to complete the work.
May 1941 It was decided to commence work on the new playing field and children’s playground.
November 1941 It was decided to close the children’s playground for the winter session.
March 1943 On the question of the completion of the playing field the possibility of enlisting the help of football enthusiasts as voluntary helpers was discussed.
April 1943 Forty names had been received by the secretary of young men prepared to help in the levelling of the playing field.
May 1944 It was decided to commence work again with the help of the young people of the L.E.A.
May 1945 The chairman reported on the negotiations for a bulldozer to be used for levelling the football field, which was agreed to.
April 1946 It was decided to proceed with the cleaning and seeding of the playing field.
July 1947 Cutting of the grass on the playing field was undertaken and tenders were invited for painting the billiard hall and playing pavillion.
July 1950 It was agreed to allow the football team the use of the field next season.
August 1951 It was agreed to repair the pavilion and fence the football field.
May 1952 It was decided to seed the playing field.
To add a personal note; I can recall at this time, that the children’s playground had become somewhat dilapidated. The shelter was no longer and the surface of the tarmaced area was very cut-up and unsuitable as a playing surface. There existed a roundabout, two sets of swings, one set for infants, a “jigger” and a large 10 seater metal swing which was locally known as the iron horse. The tree hedge around the playing field was