Fochriw Dramatic Society
17 April 1937 Dramatic Society Dance A dance was held at the New Hall on Wednesday by the Fochriw Dramatic Society. The music was supplied by the Serenaders Band, Merthyr, and the M.Cs. were Messrs. Idris and Arthur Cumpstone. Refreshments were served by women members of the society. The secretary is Mr. Bryn Davies.
25 March 1939 Women's Social Club Mrs. S. Phillips presided at the meeting on Monday at the New Hall, when a lecture and demonstration was given by Mrs. Sessions, Cardiff, on "Winter Salads." The members are rehearsing for the singing festival at Bargoed. They are being trained by Mr. Bryn Mordecai and Mr. Wyndham Lawrence. The secretary is Mrs. L. Thomas, with Mrs. M. Shankland as treasurer.
28 December 1940 Women's Club A lecture was given by the Rev. Ben Davies, Cardiff,
The newspaper reports that I have do not mention organised secular activities for the youth of the village until 1938. A reason for this could be that, up until then, those needs had been met by the church and chapels. Actual reports may be viewed by clicking on the items that imediately follow this synopsis.
During June 1938, a meeting was held at the New Hall to discuss the starting of a Boy’s Club at Fochriw, and about 40 boys had expressed an interest to join.
Further meetings ensued which discussed equipment and aims and objects of the club, and one of the first activities was the organisation of a weeks camping holiday at St Athen for about 20 boys during the coming month of August in the miner’s weeks holiday. Participation in a Boy’s Club sports day at Ystrad Mynach also ensued at which one boy from the club won three events.
By November 1938, the club membership had increased to 60 and activities such as physical training, boxing, snooker, darts, woodwork and music were undertaken, as well as having two football teams in the Rhymney Valley Boy’s Club league.
The club had no building of tits own but met in the New Hall. Discussions were held regarding the provision of dedicated building which could be used for six nights a week if necessary. The Boy’s Club movement was the strongest in South Wales, with 126 clubs already in existence
February 1939 saw the membership increase and a plot of land had been procured. Fund raising commenced with a series of four weekly dancing classes. The football team had won the Rhymney Valley Boy’s Cup League Cup in May with a home win of 5 – 0 against Aberbargoed.
At the time that the Boy’s Club was formed, discussions were well advanced regarding the building of a new hall which would replace the existing one, and the club were assured that, when the new hall was opened, that the old billiard hall, which was originally the English Baptist Chapel/Salvation Army Citidel, would be handed over to them. However, due to the intervention of WWII, the new hall did not get built until 1955.