3 October 1931 Clothing Club Supper At the Mount Pleasant Hotel on Saturday, a happy event was held in connection with Mr. Aeron Parry's Clothing Club. Thirty members sat down to an excellent supper prepared by the genial host, Mr. L. D. Jones. The tables were laden with good things, the following ladies being in charge: Mesdames Roberts, C. R. Mills, S. V. Jones, and Stanley Jones. Afterwards, a first class concert was given by eminent artistes. Mr. C. R. Mills presided.
Merthyr Mutual Investment and Loan Society
11 November 1911 Merthyr Mutual Investment and Loan Society It is essential that business of a personal financial nature should be transacted quickly, privately, and at low cost. The Society is prepared to grant loans to tradesmen, artisans, and others, at short notice and on most favourable terms, as will be seen on perusal of the prospectus which is sent post free on receipt of your request to the Secretary, at Post Office Chambers, Merthyr Tydfil.
10 February 1912 It Occasionally Happens that a person wishes to make a purchase of some special article or small property. Sometimes bargains in this way are offered to people, but owing to lack of the necessary capital, it is impossible to take advantage of the offer. If you should at any time require temporary financial assistance, the Merthyr Mutual Investment and Loan Society will lend you the necessary money quickly, privately, and at a small cost. Write to the Secretary at Post Office Chambers, Merthyr Tydfil, for a prospectus,
24 February 1912 The Insurance Act On Friday evening last, Mr. Howell E. James, solicitor, one of the official lecturers appointed by the Welsh Insurance Commissioners, addressed a meeting convened by the local friendly societies, at Nazareth C. M. Chapel. Dr. E. Davies, J. P., presided. The lecturer covered the general provisions of the Act, and dealt with the position of members of friendly societies and of small societies. Questions were asked and answered, and a vote of thanks was passed on the proposition of Mr. William James, Chief Ruler of the local Tent of Rechabites, seconded by Mr. Evan Morgan, Secretary of the local friendly society.
The International Order of Good Templars
The first mention of the Independant Order of Good Templars was in the 6 September 1873 edition of the Merthyr Express as follows
“The Good Templars Order, with branches from Fochriw, Pontlottyn and Twyn Caro have paraded the streets of Rhymney led by the Good Templars Drum and Fife Band.”
During May 1882, 84 persons joined the movement following a meeting in Carmel Chapel and by the end of that month about 200 had signed up. However, the comment was made in the Merthyr Express that
“but judging from the attendance at the meetings, one would imagine that the religious friends at Vochriw have not quite made up their minds to do away with drink just yet.”
The same issue of the newspaper advised that
“Sunday Closing This Act came into force throughout the whole of this parish on Sunday last, and the day passed off in the most quiet and peaceful manner, with no sign of opposition or dissatisfaction of any kind evinced from the habitual consumers of drinks. Sanguine anticipation of