wpa69f6a5d_1b.jpg
wp255b278e_1b.jpg

wp43f36b64_1b.jpg

wp50c95e72_1b.jpg

wp6d87753c_1b.jpg

wpb0c596b5_1b.jpg

wp0f4d3734_1b.jpg

wp96d5037f_1b.jpg

wp7e7c0f6c_1b.jpg

wpb8caaf92_1b.jpg

wpd5113390_1b.jpg

wp4cfb291e_1b.jpg

wp245a4df4_1b.jpg

wp1923115a_1b.jpg

wp79dc5a9c_1b.jpg

wpc54f07c0_1b.jpg

wpb7b76dfa_1b.jpg

wp1f66dda4_1b.jpg

wpf3103802_1b.jpg

wp2d0d4901_1b.jpg

wp61cb660f_1b.jpg

wp016bd99b_1b.jpg

wpa8945188_1b.jpg

wpe4534269_1b.jpg

wp94da9e1d_1b.jpg

wp2f33bbbb_1b.jpg

wp4634aa2b_1b.jpg

DEVELOPMENT
wpfb7fbe3f_1b.jpg
wp6c40d069_1b.jpg
wp13366bc4_1b.jpg
wp66b3c8b8_1b.jpg
Twyn y Waun
WAUN FAIR ( Ffair y Waun or Marchad y Waun)
















The above photograph of the “Waun Fair” in its heyday is reproduced by courtesy of the following website http://www.alangeorge.co.uk/pantywaun_page2.htm

To the north of Fochriw and above the hamlet of Pant-y-Waun, on the western side of Rhas Las pond, was situated the historic Waun Fair, or Marchard -y-Waun and constituted one of the largest and most active marketing centres in south Wales.. The location is called Twyn-y-Waun.
For some time prior to A.D. 1140 there had been a market situated at Twyn y Waun and it was granted its charter in 1140 by Iestyn ap Grwgant, King of Glamorgan, and it quickly developed into a marketing hive of activity serving the three counties of Glamorganshire, Brecknockshire and Monmouthshire, within who's borders it was situated.
Its reputation for size and importance could be attested by the fact that it not only attracted local traders but also those from west Wales who sold seafood. As with all fairs, gypsies would be in evidence selling their wares and telling fortunes. Gambling, dog and cock fighting and bare knuckled boxing would all have taken place on the day, with the wares of the two public houses, the Cross Keys Inn and Crown Inn being in great demand.

The fair was also known as the "Apples and Pears Fair" and “Horse Fair” which, until quite recently, was the only remaining commodity traded there, and I can well remember people from America and Canada attending the fair during the 1950’s to obtain Welsh mountain ponies for their riding schools. It appears that a fair was held once a month from April to September.

The nearby Twyn-y-Waun farm, which had all of its four rooms situated in different parishes, was owned by the Saunders family, and the old Roman road passed just by its door. In the 1800's a popular racecourse was also situated there.

This was also the location of  a great Parliamentary Reform and Trade Union rights rally which was held on the same day as the fair on 30 May 1831.

However, over the years, the fair greatly diminished in importance and size and it was in September 1906 that the Cross Keys Inn was closed as reported in the following newspaper article.
wpf1b87816_1b.jpg