remainder of a term of 76 years from the first day of January, 1881 (except the last ten days) at an annual ground rent of £1-17s.
Lot 2: All that Dwelling House situate and being No.5 Stoney Houses, Penybank, Fochriw, together with the Laundry, Hospital, Matron’s House and adjoining shed, formerly used by the Council as an Isolation Hospital. No.5 Stoney Houses is in the occupation of a monthly tenant at a rental amounting to £13 per annum. The remainder of the Lot is vacant. These premises are held for the remainder of a term of 76 years from the first day of January, 1881 (except the last ten days) at an annual ground rent of £2-15s-7d. The minerals are reserved.
Lot 3: All those four Dwelling Houses and Premises being Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 4, Chapel Street, Penybank, Fochriw, now in the occupation of monthly tenants, at rentals amounting to £61-12s. per annum. These premises are held for the remainder of a term of 99 years from the first day of January, 1865 at an annual ground rent of £2-13s-6d per annum.
During April 1888 3 new cases of smallpox had been reported making a total number of 23. Ten patients were received into the temporary hospital and four discharged. The Local Government Board pointed out that the expenses of the hospital had to be charged to the general fund of the Authority.
May 1888 At the weekly meeting of the Merthyr Board of Guardians on Saturday, the vaccination officer for the parish of Gelligaer reported six fresh cases of small-pox - one at Pentwyn, two at Deri, one at Mount Pleasant, and two at Penybank. A young man of 27, George Phillimore, died at the Penybank hospital on the 24th. At a meeting of the Rural Sanitary Authority held subsequently, the surveyor also reported on these cases, saying that 33 persons had now contracted the disease since its outbreak. Seven patients were now in the hospital. Mr. Jenkin Matthews, chairman of the Authority, said that it had been reported that the nurses at the hospital were in the habit of going into the village of Vochriw to the displeasure of the inhabitants. The Surveyor said the nurses had assured him that they did not leave the institution at all.
June 1888 The vaccination officer for Gelligaer reported another case of smallpox that had appeared at Penybank. This made the thirty seventh case since the start of the epidemic.
June 1888 At a meeting of the Merthyr Rural Sanitary Authority at the Merthyr Workhouse, it was reported that the Authority had received a letter from the cottage owners (at Stoney Houses, Penybanc) pointing out that the establishment of the hospital at Stoney Houses had affected the tenancy of the adjoining houses, and suggesting that the remaining seven should be purchased. The Authority admitted the reasonableness of the proposal and a committee was appointed to visit the place, inspect the cottages, and report to the Board. For the guidance of the committee, Mr. Jones, the surveyor, was directed to prepare a small plan of what was intended to be done to make the hospital a permanency. On the proposition of Mr. Jenkin Matthews, it was decided that the services of the nurse, and the man employed about the hospital (which the Authority had decided to dispense with) be retained for the present. The surveyor reported that three fresh cases of small-pox had occurred in Brithdir (Penybanc).
May 1891 According to the instructions, the Surveyor stated that repairs to the Brithdir Hospital would cost £190. The Medical Officer reported that during the month of April, 34 notices of infectious disease: 13 at Bedlinog, 6 at Vochriw, 5 at Pontlottyn, 1 at Tirphil, all in Gelligaer parish; 3 at Cefn in Vaynor parish; 6 at Rhigos-road in Rhigos parish had been recieved. The maladywas becoming less prevalent at Tirphil, Pontlottyn and Cefn, but at Fochriw and Bedlinog it is becoming more prevalent.
May 1891 Vochriw Schools Dr. Dyke advised the Board to close these schools as an epidemic was prevailing there. This was agreed to.