them playing in the middle of the streets. Several serious accidents have resulted from this, and one of the worst features of the game is the large stone from which the game is played. This is placed in the middle of the road, and is stumbling block to horses, and a source of extreme danger to the occupants of light carriages – the stones being generally large enough to brake the spring of the vehicle, or indeed, if driven at a brisk pace, to upset it altogether. A youth was summoned and fined in the Police Court on Saturday for this offence, and the police will proceed against all offenders until they have driven the “cat and dog” from the streets.

5 March 1870 Merthyr Police Court: Cat and Dog     Thomas McCarthy, Thomas Miskell, Daniel Callaghan, Michael Callaghan and Michael Welsh were summoned for playing the game of “Cat and Dog,” at Pontlottyn, to the danger of the public traffic. P.S. Jenkins proved the charge and described the character of the game. He said that he had received many complaints about it, and cautioned the boys and their parents, but all to no purpose, the boys would persist in playing the game. The boys were cautioned and fined 1 shilling and costs each.

Land Disputes
5 August 1911  Land Dispute at Fochriw   At Glamorgan Assizes last Friday, Mr. Dd. Thomas claimed possession of a piece of land which, with other land and a dwelling house, No. 8, Williams-row, Fochriw, had, he alleged, been demised to him by a lease for 99 years, dated 1897, and which land on the 2nd July was, he alleged, taken possession of unlawfully by the defendants, John Benjamin Lewis and Mary Lewis, his wife. Mr. R. Vaughan Williams appeared for the plaintiff, and Mr. Ivor Brown for the defendant, and Mr. Lincoln Reed for a third party, Mrs. Cecilia Davies. His Lordship, after hearing the legal argument, reserved judgment till Saturday, when his Lordship awarded the palintiff half the land, and the defendant the other half.  

29 August 1903  Drunk on Top of Vochriw Pit   David Davies, night labourer, was summoned for being in a state of intoxication at No. 2 Pit, Fochriw, on 31st July. Lewis Williams, banksman at No. 2 Pit, said the defendant came to the top of the pit "in beer" and wanted to be let down. Witness refused to let him pass, and the defendant interfered with him and wanted to fight, and he was obliged to stop the winding. P.C. Henry Williams said he was called to the top of the pit, and saw the defendant drunk, and cursing and swearing at the banksman. Defendant said he had only drunk 10 pints that day, and he could not be drunk on that (laughter). He had to escort defendant a mile away from the pit. Defendant was fined 20 shillings and costs.

3 May 1924   Merthyr Police Court: Cigarette in the Mine   George Griffiths (21), of Dowlais, was summoned for having a cigarette in his possession in No.2 Pit, fochriw. William Price, manager, said he instituted a search, and found a portion of a “cig” in the defendant’s waistcoat pocket. Griffiths’ mother attended the court, and made the excuse that her son had by mistake put on his brother-in-law’s waistcoat that morning. The Stipendiary: If your son had come to court, we might have bound him over as a first offender. He is fined 10s.

10 June 1933   Pontlottyn Police Court   Hartwell Wood, aged 31, of Fochriw, was summoned for committing a breach of the Coal Mines Act by riding on a journey of trams. Police Sergeant W. Saunders, Deri, said that in consequence of complaints received from the colliery manager, he kept the incline under observation and saw the defendant riding on the journey. When he spoke to him, he expressed regret and said it would not happen again. Defendant was fined 10 shillings.

23 May 1953    Fochriw Widow Wins Claim: Colliery Work Contributed To Husband’s Death   Judge L. C. Thomas, at Bargoed County Court on Wednesday, made an award, which was agreed between the parties at £400, the maximum, in favour of Mrs. Lydia Gwen Williams, widow, of Martin-street, Fochriw, who claimed compensation from the Coal Board in respect of the death in Merthyr General Hospital on January 24th, 1948, of her husband, John Williams, aged 64, who was employed as an underground repairer at Groesfaen Colliery, Deri. An order for costs was made against the Board. For the applicant, it was claimed that Williams’ work in using a mandril and pneumatic drill to make room for the erection of rings, had contributed to cerebral haemorrhage from which he died. Mrs. Williams said her husband was in good health and good spirits when he left home for the night shift on