In March 1917 the Dowlais Co-operative Society bought Fochriw Old Council School and the master's house. The property, which was freehold, is situated on a commanding site opposite the railway station, having a frontage of 240 ft, and containing in the whole, 1760 square yards.
During December 1920 Guest, Keen & Nettlefolds offered the sale of their houses to tenents
In May 1920 the Board of Agriculture granted an enclosure order for thirteen and a half acres of land for building purposes near the new schools at Fochriw. The construction of the 12 Council houses commenced in September 1923.
In April 1927 Mr. & Mrs. Morgan Morgan left the Rising Sun Inn where the family had been for over 68 years (1860?) for the Cambrian Hotel in Bridgend.
In January 1953 construction commenced on 200 houses at Fochriw for the NCB. The total cost being £282,639.
The photograph opposite shows the houses in the process of
In December 1954 it was announced that approval had been obtained to build 110 traditional council houses costing £159,000. In a letter of reply to the Council requesting a contribution towards the cost of reinforced foundations for the houses, due to mining subsidence, the Coal Board stated that it was unable to comply with the request.
In June 1959 it was announced that Gelligaer Urban District Council intended to build flats at Fochriw at a cost of £42,477. Included in the cost of the flats at Fochriw was provision for two shops, and roads and sewers to the building. The location would be on the site of the demolished lower part of Brook Row.
Three blocks were built but only the top one containing the shops remains. The other two were demolished (Reason?). Parts of a number of episodes of A Mind to Kill with Philip Madoc were filmed there during the late 1990s.
In July 1962 leaseholders living in more than 100 homes at Fochriw took steps to buy up the land on which their properties stand. The action prevented the leases expiring in two years’ time. The head lease in respect of the properties, previously held by Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds, was held by the N.C.B. since nationalisation. The head lease would have expired in 1965 and the freeholds would have reverted to Caeglas Estate.
Houses and Buildings in Sequence
1 May 1859 Rising Sun Inn