On the OS 1884, Pen-y-Banc is identified as Brithdir, with only the farm taking on the name of Pen-y-banc. The buildings indicated on the OS of 1884 are the chapel, Stoney Houses, Chapel Row and another row of buildings parallel with Chapel Row. These were probably Hut Street (1-8) listed on the census of 1882 and were low cost temporary accommodation for mine workers which the colliery owners erected prior to the development becoming a “going concern”.
The hamlet was once a thriving community and comprised Pen-y-banc Farm, 24 houses in two rows called Chapel Row above the railway line (no sign of the second parallel row of buildings existed) and Stony Houses below the railway line which also contained an old isolation hospital for smallpox victims, a Baptist Chapel, later converted to a Pentecostal Chapel, school, a worker's cottage called Ty Mawr House located above the farm and a hotel which became a residence. Underneath the chapel were about 6 houses.
Following an earth tremor in 1964 all the buildings were condemned and razed to the ground. There were also a number of coal levels on the Fochriw road between Pen-y-banc and Pentwyn and on the eastern side of the valley which were connected to the Fochriw colliery complex.
Stoney Houses Nos 5 – 10 were built in 1856 and Nos 1 – 4 were built in January 1859. In July 1883 the leaseholds of these properties were sold by public auction. Nos 5,6,7,8,9 &10 Stoney Houses –commanded a monthly rent £31.4.0 per annum on a 99yrs lease from 1 January 1856 with a ground rent £2.15.7. Nos1,2,3 &4 Stoney Houses commanded a monthly rent £20.16.0 per annum on a 99yrs from 1 January 1859 with a ground rent of £1.17.0
An inquest on the death of William Evans collier at Brecon V Coal Company Bargoed Level on 19 April 1866 was held at the Penybank Inn.
In January 1914 the whole row of Stoney Houses, part of which had been converted into an Isolation Hospital came up for sale as reported in the Merthyr Express.
Sale of Valuable Leasehold Dwelling Houses and Premises: Penybank, Fochriw, for sale by Public Auction at the Blast Furnace Hotel, Pontlottyn, on Tuesday, January 27th, 1914, at 7.30 p.m. by Mr. A. A. J. Watkins, Auctioneer.
Lot 1: All those four Dwelling Houses and Premises being Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 4, Stoney Houses, Penybank, Fochriw, now in the occupation of monthly tenants, at rentals amounting to £13 each per annum. These premises are held for the